This hearty soup has it all! Nutritious vegetables, grains and protein come together in a high-fiber, low-fat, low-sodium soup.
Number of servings: 3
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup onion (chopped)
- ½ cup carrot (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon thyme (ground)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 cups water (or chicken broth)
- ¾ cup tomatoes (diced)
- 1 cup chicken, cooked, skinned and cubed
- ½ cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup kale (chopped, about one large leaf)
- Heat oil in a medium sauce pan. Add onion and carrot. Saute until vegetables are tender, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add thyme and garlic. Saute for 1 more minute.
- Add water or broth, tomatoes, chicken, cooked rice and kale.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
Per serving: 180 calories, 5 g total fat, 1 g saturated fat, 17 g protein, 16 g carbohydrates, 3 g dietary fiber, 85 mg sodium.
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, recipefinder.nal.usda.gov.