Give meatloaf a makeover with lean ground turkey and two cups of veggies!
- 2 cups assorted vegetables, chopped – such as mushrooms, zucchini, red bell peppers or spinach
- 12 ounces 99 percent lean ground turkey
- ½ cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs (or substitute regular breadcrumbs)
- ¼ cup fat-free evaporated milk
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, rinsed, dried and chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, rinsed, dried and chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Steam or lightly sauté the assortment of vegetables.
- Combine the meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and spread meatloaf mixture evenly in the pan.
- Combine all ingredients for glaze in a bowl. Brush glaze on top of the meatloaf.
- Bake meatloaf in the oven for 45–50 minutes (to a minimum internal temperature of 165ºF).
- Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into eight even slices.
Number of servings: 4 (serving size = 2 slices of meatloaf)
Nutrition facts (per serving): 180 calories, 2 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 34 mg cholesterol, 368 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 25 g protein, 17 g carbohydrates, 406 mg potassium, 50 percent vitamin A, 154 percent vitamin C, 10 percent calcium, 15 percent iron.
Recipe courtesy of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute