Here’s a great recipe that uses good-for-you greens – kale and chard.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt (optional)
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 2 cups chard, chopped
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 8 cups vegetable broth (or stock)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (16 ounces)
- Fat-free or low-fat plain yogurt (optional)
- Potatoes (optional)
- Sauté onion and garlic with olive oil.
- Combine sauté mix with the rest of the ingredients (except yogurt) in a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Spoon stew in bowls to serve and top with a dollop of fat-free or low-fat plain yogurt (optional).
Per serving: 250 calories, 4.5 g total fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 260 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrates, 14 g dietary fiber, 8 g sugar, 14 g protein, 100 percent vitamin A, 60 percent vitamin C, 15 percent calcium, 35 percent iron. Percent daily values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, recipefinder.nal.usda.gov.