‘Tailgating with a Healthier Twist’ continues this week with another delicious tailgating menu from Rex Wellness Center Registered Dietitian Diane Danchi, R.D., L.D.N.
This week’s menu includes: Low Fat, Gluten-Free Turkey Chili, Cornbread and a Low-Fat Waldorf Salad
Be sure to visit the Rex Wellness Centers’ Facebook page every Wellness Wednesday for a post featuring recipes, tips, workouts and more from our wellness experts.
Low Fat, Gluten-Free Turkey Chili
- 1 lb Ground Turkey Breast
- 2 (15 oz) cans Petite-Diced Tomatoes (no-added-salt)
- 2 (15 oz) cans Kidney Beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can Black Beans, drained
- 1 large Onion, cut up in coarse pieces
- 2 T Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 dash Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- Light Sour Cream
- 2% sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Cilantro, chopped
- Optional: 1 T. grated Semi-Sweet Chocolate and a dash of Allspice
- Brown ground turkey breast, stirring constantly break it up
- In slow-cooker, mix in turkey, tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, and onion. Season with chili powder, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, cumin, black pepper, cinnamon, and salt. Add chocolate and allspice if using them.
- Cover and cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high
- Garnish with light sour cream, low-fat cheddar cheese, and cilantro
Makes 8 1-cup servings
- 1/2 cup Walnuts Halves
- 1/2 cup Non-Fat Yogurt
- ¼ cup Light Mayonnaise
- 1 cup light or fat free Cool Whip
- 1 tsp Honey
- 1/2 Lemon Rind, zest or finely grated
- Freshly ground Black Pepper
- 2 large crisp apples, such as Gala or Red Delicious
- 2 ribs celery (with leaves), sliced into 1/2-inch-thick pieces (leaves chopped)
- 1/4 cup Raisins
- 1 cup Red Grapes, halved
- 1/2 Lemon, juiced
- 1 head Boston lettuce, trimmed, washed, and dried
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
- Spread the nuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool and break the nuts up into small pieces.
- Whisk the yogurt, mayonnaise, Cool Whip, honey, and lemon zest in a large bowl and season lightly with pepper.
- Halve, core, and cut the apples into 3/4-inch pieces, leaving the skin intact.
- Add the apples, celery, raisins and grapes to the bowl, and sprinkle with the lemon juice; then toss with the dressing.
- Cover and refrigerate if not serving immediately.
- When ready to serve, toss walnuts into the salad. Arrange the lettuce leaves on a large platter, or divide them among 4 salad plates. Place the salad on the lettuce and serve.
- 2 Eggs or ½ cup Egg Whites – beat well
- 1 cup Water
- ¼ cup Canola Oil
- 2 – 4 T. Honey, Sugar or Sugar in the Raw
In separate bowl combine:
- ½ cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- Note: can use all whole wheat pastry flour if you like – it’s healthier!
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal (NOT self-rising)
- 1 T. baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
Make a well in center of dry ingredients; mix just until all is moistened. Pour into an oiled 8′ square pan and bake at 400º for 20 min or until lightly browned