This tangy bean salad is perfect for a picnic, and inexpensive to make. It only costs about $0.79 per serving to make this recipe!
- 1 can lima beans (8.5 ounce)
- 1 can cut green beans (8 ounce)
- 1 can red kidney beans (8 ounce)
- 1 onion (medium, thinly sliced and separated into two rings)
- ½ cup bell pepper (chopped sweet green)
- 8 ounces Italian salad dressing (fat-free)
1. Drain the canned beans.
2. Peel and slice the onion and separate into rings.
3. Chop the green bell pepper.
4. In a large bowl, combine the lima beans, green beans, kidney beans, onion rings and green bell pepper.
5. Pour the Italian dressing over the vegetables and toss lightly.
6. Cover the bowl and marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour. The salad can be left in the refrigerator overnight.
7. Drain before serving.
Number of servings: 4 Nutrition facts per serving: 170 calories, 0 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 690 mg sodium, 35 g total carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 10 g sugar, 7 g protein, 4 percent vitamin A, 30 percent vitamin C, 2 percent calcium, 6 percent iron.
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, recipefinder.nal.usda.go.