You’ve heard, ‘Eat your fruits and vegetables,’ since childhood. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says it’s good advice. Healthy diets rich in fruits and vegetables may reduce the risk of cancer and other chronic diseases. With more farmers markets taking root across the U.S., buying fresh is easier than ever. Choosing produce in their natural growing season ensures value, freshness and nutrient density.
Locally grown trends
In a recent survey*, the majority of respondents said they:
• Go to a farmers market once a week
• Spend less than $10.
• Want to support local agriculture.
4 shopping tips
1. Go in the morning for the best selection, but go at the end of the day for the best deals.
2. Don’t just take advantage of the produce. Explore the baked goods, crafts and more.
3. Bring your own bags for easier shopping and environmental friendliness.
4. Plan for spontaneity-trying new things, like zucchini blossoms, is part of the fun.
Rex is a proud sponsor of multiple farmers markets in Wake County, including:
- Downtown Raleigh Farmers Market
- Holly Springs Farmers Market
- Zebulon Farmers Market
Find a farmers market near you! Check out the USDA’s Farmers Market directory.
*Source: USDA Outdoor Farmers Market Dot survey 2011.