A healthy twist on an Italian classic! Cheesy Zucchini Lasagna Rollups pack in the flavor of the traditional dish, without blowing your diet. Subbing the pasta for zucchini helps lower the carbohydrate count and adds more fiber to the meal. Follow the steps below to give it a try.
- 2-2½ pounds zucchini, sliced into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1½ cups ricotta cheese
- ½ cup frozen spinach, thawed and dried
- ½ cup chopped artichokes
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper
- Arrange all of the zucchini strips in a single layer on cooling racks and place on baking sheets. Lightly sprinkle both sides of the zucchini with salt.
- Let stand for 20 minutes to let some of the water out, then thoroughly pat both sides of the zucchini strips dry with paper towels.
- Brush both sides with olive oil and roast for 15-18 minutes at 425 degrees or until zucchini is soft. Make sure not to over-roast.
- Spread ½ cup of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, spinach, artichokes, parsley, half the mozzarella, garlic and egg. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread a spoonful of ricotta filling evenly over each zucchini strip. Gently roll up and place straight up in a baking dish. Fit as many as you can in the dish.
- Add remaining tomato sauce on top of the rolls and sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until filling is heated through and cheese is melted. You can also broil the dish for an additional 2-3 minutes until cheese is golden brown. Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.