Making chili can be a great way to enjoy a simple, hearty and healthy meal. This recipe packs in tons of nutrients without compromising any of the flavor.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2-3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili pepper
- Optional toppings: avocado, shredded cheese and sour cream
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the turkey, chopped onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Brown the turkey, and transfer to slow cooker.
- In the slow cooker, add the chopped sweet potatoes, black beans, quinoa, 2 cups chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, cumin, chili powder and chipotle chili pepper. Mix it all up.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours, until the potatoes are tender. Stir in additional chicken stock if the chili is too thick.
- Add any of the optional toppings and enjoy!