Try something new with couscous!
This dish can be served on its own or with chicken, beef or sautéed vegetables.
- 1¼ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, rinsed, dried and chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 medium orange, rinsed, for 1 tablespoon zest (use a grater to take a thin layer of skin off the orange)
Put your own spin on this recipe by experimenting with other healthy mix-ins like grapes.
- Combine chicken broth and raisins in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add couscous, and return to a boil. Cover and remove from the heat.
- Let the saucepan stand for about 5 minutes, until the couscous has absorbed all of the broth.
- Meanwhile, toast almonds in a toaster oven on a foil-lined tray for about 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the lid and fluff the couscous with a fork. Gently mix in the mint, almonds and orange zest. Serve immediately.
Number of servings: 4