Jayne is a graduate of Virginia Tech and is currently a Dietetic Intern through Meredith College, working with REX Nutrition Services and REX Diabetes Education Center.
Pumpkins are nutrition-packed vegetables that seem to be underrated for the majority of the year- until fall rolls around. As you may have noticed, pumpkin is currently taking over grocery stores and coffee shops and the smell of pumpkin spice lingers in the air. It is high in fiber, low in sugar and fat, and contains many micro-nutrients the body requires to function.
Here are some of the main nutrients pumpkin provides:
Vitamin A – aids in vision (1 cup mashed pumpkin contains more than 200% RDI)
- Vitamin C – can help boost immune system
- Beta carotene – a powerful antioxidant that helps fight disease
- Fiber – keeps you fuller longer and can aid in weight loss
- Phytosterols – Can reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol levels
- Tryptophan – an amino acid that helps calm and relax body
One of my favorite ways to get in the fall spirit is incorporating pumpkin into baking. Simply adding of a cup of pumpkin puree to recipes is as a more nutritious way to enjoy a sweet treat (in moderation)! Pick up a can of pumpkin (or a pie pumpkin to steam if you prefer the old-fashioned way) at your local grocery store and try this recipe this weekend:
Pumpkin Banana Muffins
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 425° and line a muffin tray with liners.
- In large bowl microwave butter until melted, about 15-20 seconds, then add the bananas and mash. Add the sugar and pumpkin. Stir well.
- Stir in the egg and vanilla.
- Mix in pumpkin spice, cinnamon, flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Spoon evenly into a muffin tin
Bake for 5 minutes at 425°, then reduce the heat to 350° and bake for 15-16 more minutes. Baking them at the higher temperature at first helps them rise and gives a nice rounded top. Remove from tin and allow to cool then enjoy!