Breastfeeding is a hot topic these days, from the rise of milk banks to Gieselle Bundchen’s instagram photo that shows that supermodels can breastfeed too. There was also a recent report that announced that only 16.4% of U.S. mothers exclusively breastfeed for at least 6 months.
At Rex, our most important goal is that your baby is getting the nutrition he or she needs. We want to support EVERY Mom (and dad) and their feeding goals no matter what they are- as long as the baby is getting fed!
With that being said, we do encourage breastfeeding as much as possible. Here are some things we at Rex do to help moms reach their breastfeeding goals:
Automatic visit from an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) for all first time moms, moms with multiples, and moms with late preterm or small for gestational age newborns. Any routine experienced mom can easily request a consult with an IBCLC.
- The staff nurses go through yearly training and check-offs on basic breastfeeding skills that are relevant to their working area
- There are numerous IBCLC’s staffed during the day, and Rex even offers night shift IBCLC’s every night of the week!
- Rex is working on protocols to help specific groups of babies based on gestational age
- We have developed a protocol for supplementation if it happens to be needed and will speak with the parents at length regarding any need for supplementation
- We absolutely do not give out goodie bags stuffed with formula
- We try to encourage rooming in with the baby for better reading of baby’s hunger cues
- If you are having difficulty once you go home, call Rex Lactation at 919-784-3224, for any questions/concerns, or to schedule an outpatient visit with one of our IBCLCs
- We can give you info on additional services as well that can improve the breastfeeding relationship. We have a list of support groups such as Le Leche League, and Nursing Mothers of Raleigh. We also have lists of private practice IBCLC’s in the area that can come to your home and spend a lot of focused one on one time with and mom/baby.
- We have an office down on the first floor that handles pump rentals and sales. It also carries nursing bras and other breastfeeding necessities and gizmos. They are open 9-12 Monday-Friday.
The bottom line is that Rex is happy to support all moms who feed their babies! We hope our new moms and dads will use our resources to help them as much as possible on their new journey.