Cedar Plank Smoked Salmon
- 1 filet fresh salmon (approx 2 pounds)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 T spicy brown mustard or wasabi mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cedar plank soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Lay salmon skin side down on cedar plank
- Rub filet with mustard spreading evenly
- Season with salt and pepper
- Top with brown sugar and spread evenly
- Place cedar directly over hot coals and allow to cook. Cover grill and smoke for 10-15 minutes or until flesh easily flakes with a fork.
*If board catches on fire, simply douse with water.
* * *
Grilled whole red snapper wrapped in banana leaf
- 1 3-4 whole snapper
- 2 lemon grass stalks (cut in 4 inch piece)
- 1 yellow onion sliced thin
- 3 lemons whole sliced
- 2 limes whole sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Banana leaf (can be found in most Latin grocery stores)
- Place snapper on a cutting board
- In the cavity season well with salt and pepper
- Place ½ of the lemon, lemon grass and limes in cavity
- Place fish on banana leaf that is twice the size of the fish.
- Brush olive oil on skin and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the rest of the aromatics and wrap fish with the leaf. Wrap it tightly so no steam escapes
- Place seam side down on small metal pan
- Place pan in grill using indirect heating* Cover grill and allow to cook for 20 minutes
- The flesh of the fish should easily flake with a fork.
*Indirect heating is placing the coals on one side of the grill and the item to be cooked on the other side of the grill. This will allow the fish to cook without direct contact with the coals.